Monday 16 April 2018

Sometimes junior skaters are taller than me.

Last Saturday, I had the experience of reffing a juniors exhibition game. Half hour, single period game.

I've certainly never had a captains' meeting open with one of the captains announcing "I'm really scared". But I've never had a captain come up to my elbow either.

What can you do in that situation? As refs we're often called on to be the 'adult' in the room - defining who's been 'bad', setting limits, being asked to decide things that really have nothing to do with us. I've said before that sometimes teams seem to think we're their mums. But when you are the adult, it's time to step up.

I emphasised that our first job is safety and the safety of our participants is number one. It's true and it's something that people forget. Fairness is obviously a huge part of our job, but safety is really the most important thing. And I truly believe that. I could look that kid in the eye and say "My number one job is safety. I am here to make sure that you and your team mates and the other team are safe. Nothing is more important to me, okay?". I think he believed me. I meant it.

The rest of the captains' meeting was pretty standard stuff - clarifications, rules, all that jazz. But I tried, more than I have ever tried, to emphasise safety and fun. I think I'm growing soft in my old age - I didn't even try and put the fear of god (that'd be me) in them. And the kids seemed to appreciate it, and seemed excited for their game.

It seemed like it might all be ok and everyone could have fun.

Then a kid threw up in the penalty box.

No comments:

Post a Comment